"Repentance requires a fundamental reorientation toward GOD."
I was listening to a sermon about biblical manhood by Dr. Tony Evans. He was trying to illustrate the fact that a wrong orientation leads to other problems with the following short story.
Essentially, he took his car in to the auto repair shop one day and he was told that his tires had been worn out unevenly. The mechanic proceeded to tell him that it was because his tires weren't aligned properly. He could continue to replace his tires very often but they would still erode at a different rate. No matter how many times he replaced the tires, the problem would still be there. So what does this mean?
It means that if our orientation is wrong, no matter how many times we try to run away from our sins/problems our "conquer" our sins/problems, they'll still keep on appearing.
Our orientation should be towards GOD and in pursuit of Him fully. In our initial repentance, we should have fully tuned in to GOD and tuned out to the rest of the things in this world. I grudgingly must admit that I have turned away and orientated myself to the world (an exact 180 degree opposite to the ways of my Father) and, as a Christian, if that has occurred in your life also, I URGE you to repent and turn back to the way of life and not of death.
When I first believed, I was given a new life and a second chance. I made the vow to change my old habits and to surrender ALL to Christ at the foot of the cross. With this new life, I don't want to model it after my old one because I know that this new life is much better than any life I can live.
--
Father,
I give thanks for awakening me from this slumber of DEATH. You have called me from the grave and now I have risen with you from it! Oh, PRAISE YOU! Would I turn my eyes upon you so that all the things of this world will be a blur to me for all I will ever need is you for you satisfy me fully. I pray that you help me orient myself towards you and that I would only walk on the narrow path and never stray from it! Yes, this world has SO much to offer but it pales in comparison to the glory that is to be revealed in Jesus Christ. Would I only chase after what matters and what is important. Would you come and meet me! For you said that if I seek you, you will come. Father, would you bless me and strengthen me for you ARE the Rock on which I stand and you ARE my foundation.
I praise you and in his name I pray,
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment